By Professor Yoland Lim
For each day of your life: Steps to achieving: Read one of these famous Professor Yoland Lim Taos every day, contemplate, reflect and think about the meaning of these, and apply it to your life.
These are based on the wisdom that I learnt in the jungle at Ponggol in Singapore (now sadly it is a concrete jungle) from as early as when I began life, until my departure to Australia. However, some are acquired in the course of my many medical, research and business interactions within Australia and throughout the world. I have also learned from many of my patients who are the 'who's of who' in the world. Many of these patients are well known within Australia and are among the top 200 richest persons. My patient list also encompasses some of the richest people in the world.
In spite of my formal training at university, I owe my skill in health and medicine, healing, and business to my jungle training and wisdom given to me by many of my patients. My patients are from all walks of life and from many parts of the world. This brings a vast diversity of wisdom, philosophy and culture that no university or any formal training can ever give. I thank my many patients for their kind wisdom, which makes me what I am today.
To get the best out of the cookies, you must study them one at a time, meditate and think about it, then apply them to your daily life. It will come alive and hit you in whatever you are doing right on the bull's eye. If you just read it and do nothing about it, you will not gain the wisdom.
When you apply them to your own daily events they will transform you from where you are now, to a different successful being without stress. It will give you foresight in many things without the modern rubbish of todays world. All my predictions are based on vision and I have yet to be proven wrong. So you can go about doing your daily business based on lots of technical and financial bull or you can use your "gut feeling". The proof is in the pudding.
1. Open eyes, Clear ears- only fools have their eyes and ears shut.
Many years ago when I came to Australia, I only had $84, (yes eighty four dollars). Within a few months I could see a huge potential in my Fong Yang healing art. Coming from a jungle, I had never ever met such a group of ignorant people. I tried to organize a seed capital of about $1000 for 50% of the shares. I approached and wasted many hours of my time after work at night talking to medical and business professionals as well as acquaintances. Mostly I was laughed at and ignored. I am forever grateful to Sir Professor Peter Morris, Professor Ewing, and Sir Eric Piece and Sir Peter Deham who encouraged me to carry out medical research on my SMX868 Slimax weight control drops. Professor Yadav encouraged me, who since has returned to India. I am also extremely thankful to a Mrs Wong, a devoted christian, who wrote me a blank cheque saying, "Write as much as you need". However I kindly declined her offer, but am humbled to this day by her generosity. She is a good person, who also instilled good values to her children who are now medical doctors also.
Other people who I have approached and either refused or procrastinated and wasted my time are people in the best position to see the potential. Yet they all missed this opportunity. Many of these people are now still working their same jobs, without any career progression, or are still running mediocre businesses, and have admitted they do not have a comfortable life. They were blind and could not see and hear what I was trying to say.
Sadly there are people in society who cannot appreciate vison and hearing.
2. Without thinking.... nothing is gained
Many people go about doing things without thinking. In the early 1980's I was asked to invest in a property in Dandenong that was used as a restaurant. Based on signed documents and advice from 'reputable' real estate agents, the return on the investments was 20% (the interest rate in those days was only 7%). I put on the thinking cap and gained the insight that why should someone pay 20% while he could get money for about 7%. I was fiercely verbally attacked by the real estate agent, saying that I wasted his time in making the presentation to me as I challenged him to give me his personal guarantee seeing that he was so confident. Well the fool who did not think bought the property, within a few months it was empty and empty for many years. I got information later that it was finally let out, and based on the sales price the return was less than 5%. This shows the real estate agent did things without thinking, not only in trying to sell the property, but later his comments stopped me from dealing with him on any real estate deals thereafter. Because this real estate agent did not think, he lost a lot of business from that point on because I have purchased many properties where he was the agent, yet I requested another agent to do the business.
3. A wise person will see clearly
There are many people in the world who are employed to do a job. For the rest of their lives they will do ‘just’ that. But why?
Many years ago in Australia there was extremely inefficient public transport. As I worked in several jobs all over Victoria, I had no alternative than to buy the cheapest of the cheapest wreck of a car that my mere pay of $60 per week at the time could afford.
One day the director of a pathology company (now bankrupt) where I worked told me off yelling "Don't park your wreck next to my car. I feel ashamed."
From that moment on I made a pledge to myself that the next car I buy I would be a certain 'luxury car'. Coming from the jungle, I do not want to borrow money. So by the time I had accumulated enough money for a particular 'luxury car', I drove my beaten up wreck of a car to the car dealership’s driveway. As the car was in such a haggard state no one else would dare go near it, so I was comfortable leaving it destined for the scrap yard, with a view to driving out in a brand new 'luxury car'. I had been looking at the cars on display at the showroom after hours, during that past week and I knew the car I wanted by which time I had now worked very hard for.
I approached the impeccably dressed salesman and motioned towards the car. I tried to open the door, however it was locked. The salesman saw this, and just ignored me. I asked him if I could look inside (I did not even want to test drive it, I only wanted to buy it). He turned his back on me, and walked away condescendingly announcing loudly "When you have the money and are ready to buy it, come back". That turned me off, and suffice to say I did not buy it. I subsequently headed to the Rolls Royce dealer instead. On that particular day I was badly dressed in an old generic track suit and the Rolls Royce salesman greeted me with a smile and open arms with “You have arrived”. Minutes later I drove out in a Rolls Royce.
How unwise the first car salesman was. Eventually he retired… in exactly the same job, in the same position as when he started, for he did not see pictures clearly.
4. Be kind to all
In the course of my work, not so much in the medical field but in my corporate life, there were times where I came across people of varying degrees of respect.
Years ago I was speaking on a 3AW talk back program. I was being interviewed on the success of some popular sports people I had treated. One of the callers disguised his real name, but I recognized his voice. He had up until then always been telling me what a wonderful a job I was doing to my face. However when on air he angrily told the listeners that I am a 'quack'. I knew in my heart that this was not the case as I know how many people I had helped. I realised that for him to be driven to such an act, he was likely to be having his own issues which he was having extreme difficulty dealing with.
I forgave him.
No matter how insincere people are, a wiseperson will be kind regardless.
From that day on many years ago, whenever I am asked who I am, I proudly announce that I am 'The Quack of the Quacks'.
5. An calm mind makes it easier to see through the bigger picture
Many years ago when I was at my pharmaceutical factory one day, I telephoned my staff on some other matter. The person who was responsible for what I was asking for got very angry, as I did not ask him. The reason I did not ask him was that this other staff member just happened to pick up the phone and what I was asking was only whether some mail had been sent - nothing important, something trivial. He got so angry that he was screaming by the time I arrived. Screaming that it was impossible to fix up the machine, which he said was not working and he just cannot do the job. His anger had prevented him from looking at the problem in a simple way. His anger made him think that the machine had a big problem. It was only that he did not check if the electrical switch was on. The previous night the cleaner had used the switch on a vacuum cleaner and did not plug the machine back in. Anger can blind you. So take care.
6. Put joy into all tasks and you will be rewarded with more than wealth
My father had never wanted money. He treated his patients for free, if any one wanted to eat or sleep, everything was always free, we had no electricity, telephone or money in the jungle. But he put joy in his work. We had no stress. When I came to Australia I had never intended to make money. I was happy where I was. I put joy into my work seeing crippled patients come to life. I was rewarded. As a result I am in peace with my inner self. I have come across many people whose motive was money. A good example of this was an accountant who went and set up a restaurant. In talking to him his main motive was to get as much money out of the customers as possible. One day I was invited by a bank to attend a function. It was the hottest day in Feb in something like 30 years. The function was at 12.30 in the afternoon, the temperature by then was about 35 degrees. When I arrived I felt very hot and stuffy with stale and smelling air from previous night. A few people had begun to take off their jackets. I thought, being Chinese, I ask the owner if he could turn the air conditioner on. To my surprise he said, " too early, all the guests are not here yet." He went bust about a year later.
7a. Health is the only asset you live to enjoy
I was most puzzled when I first set up my clinical practice in 1972. A lady came to me in great pain. She had lower back pain for almost 19 years, and at that time the neurosurgeon wanted to fuse her spine. After a few treatments, she had improved a lot to the point that she could walk without pain. On her 3rd treatment I as shocked to hear her say: "I cannot afford the treatment because I have to save up for my holiday. Now that the severe pain is gone, I can wait for the free operation". Sadly she consulted me again after few years post operatively with the same problem, and only this time it was much worse. She expressed regret saying "I should have listened to you years ago". I've seen this day in day out in our practice. It is a sad syndrome in our society to cater for enjoyment rather than health, a society to live in the now, get what's free even if it is not as good as the alternative of paying. Unfortunately health is on the bottom of many peoples priorities. To that day, my fathers wisdom still remains with me: you can go without luxury, but use your money on food and health.
7b. Food is the essence of life and health
When I first come to Australia I was very poor, as I arrived here with just $84 in my pocket, donated by one of my fathers' patients. I first used cardboard boxes for tables and piles of newspaper for chairs. I would have preferred to sit on the floor if not for the floor in the flat I first rented in Brunswick being so filthy, despite my best endeavours to scrub it clean. Yet I spent some money on food, because food is the essence of life and health. In eastern medicine this very closely influences our health. I was always taught that food is medicine, and as such we should nourish ourselves optimally. I am also very disappointed at people who say they are under paid by social security, yet they can afford to spend on cigarettes and junk food. Many of these people buy junk food every day. The money they spent on cigarettes, drugs and alcohol surely can buy them some good health.
8a. An active mind is a healthier mind
A lazy mind is quite different from a meditative mind. Practising meditation may seem to the ignorant as just someone sitting there wasting their life. The difference is, in meditation you actually develop your inner self, your vision and control your body as well as mind. A person with a lazy mind and body is someone who does not want to do anything. Someone who does things without diligence and at a very slow pace, is different from a meditative state. Look around and observe around you. You will find that there are many people around you who do things in a very lazy way.
8b. Be mindful when choosing a tie.... and be gracious doing it. Don't let stagnation blur your choice of ties....or life partner, otherwise you may end up not even having a partner to buy a tie for
A few years after arriving in Australia a formal occasion required me to wear a tie. I usually dress in a modern take on traditional Chinese style clothing, a nod to cultural history, and pleased my son has adopted this with our family amulet, meditation beads, and teams this with a chic eastern jacket or similar.
Hence years ago when I wanted to wear a tie for an occasion, I went to a well-known store to get one. I did not care what colour or what type it was. All I wanted was a tie. I went straight to the tie section to get the first tie that caught my attention. There was a sales girl standing around waiting for a woman choosing a tie, who could not decide on which colour, nor which design. Comically each tie seemed to elicit a diatribe of comments. It seemed to me as though she was not choosing a tie....but rather as if she was choosing a life partner! After waiting several minutes, as the sales girl was doing nothing but idly standing there waiting for this lady to make up her mind, I kindly asked her "Excuse me can I pay for this?". To my surprise she quipped "Can't you see, I'm serving this lady!". Then even more surprising to me, the lady (attempting) to choose a tie did not say "I will be sometime yet, go ahead". But no.... not whimper from her. So for a social experiment I decided to wait and see.... It took the lady almost 20 minutes (excluding the time she already spent before I decided to pay for my tie) before she said, "I like none of these" and walked off.
I am certain that both ladies are low achievers.
Years later the saleslady came to me as a patient, she was still working in her same role and had no career progression over 20 years. As for the other lady choosing a tie, I had pity for her, and her partner and wonder how long her relationship lasted... if at all.
9a. The harder you work the more your life will be full filled
Day in day out I heard people commenting that some people are born lucky and that they have everything. I overheard one of this comments at a cafe - I very seldom do sit down for a drink in a cafe, but on this occasion I was asked to attend a meeting there. Two adjacent couples (loudly) complaining about how they cannot get what they wanted in life and that their working days were boring. Later I learnt that all of them were part-time workers and have spent most of their money at the cafe, not wanting to take on a second part time job. I said to myself "I would be ashamed if I were you guys. I came to Australia with a mere $84 in 1972. I worked in 3 jobs all at once starting at 4 am till 11 pm at night, 7 days a week. You had a better opportunity and were in a better position than me. You should be more fulfilled and 'better off' than me. Why are you spending $20-30 just on drinks rather than going back to your home and having a drink for a fraction of the cost.
9b. The Million Dollar Cup of coffee
I recall my days at Brunswick (suburb in Melbourne's northern suburbs), years ago, when I lived with my wife in a single bedroom flat. We could not afford a car at that time, and had to walk EVERYWHERE. One day it was so cold, nearly freezing temperature, about 1 or 2 degrees Celsius only, and we walked all the way to the Victoria Market. On the way back we were so very thirsty and looking at the price of a coffee in a shop. However we decided that if we made it back to our flat we could have a drink for nearly nothing. We 'only' saved a mere 40 cents at the time, however it one's foresight to see that by saving the 40 cents now, it is worth so much more later in life. It is important to be able to put into the life context of how much "just one cup of coffee" actually is worth, and for your partner to understand the life you are building together and to have the same philosophy.
9c. Work hard when you can.... to reach the apple orchard
During my lifetime I found that a lot of people are not willing to work hard and save. These are the ones who constantly complain about the government not looking after them, or their boss not paying them enough. I remember working in a place for just $10 a day and if I had of used public transport, it would have taken about $2 off. So I walked many kilometres to work and back, and never complained. I just put my head down literally and figuratively. To be successful, one needs to work hard and work hard when you can. I now can enjoy the fruits of the apple orchard while some of those who previously commented that I did not "have a life", are now not even having any fruits, let alone an apple orchard to enjoy.
10a. A footpath when used more becomes a road
When a footpath is not used, grass will grow. Everything in the universe, when not in use will becomes rusty. If you let your brain be idle, you soon will become lazy. If you don't work, you soon will become tired and lazy. If the road is not used, it soon cracks up. In the jungle, we often found that if the path is not used soon it will be overgrown with shrubs. So use what you have, your brain, muscles and your resources. In the western world, a lot of parents blame the school teachers for not making their children into what they desire them to be. As a schoolboy I encountered some very shocking teachers. I remember one in particular known as Mr Baru. He would come into the class and say we are now "doing pages x and y". He then sat down to write in his logbook. To my amazement he was promoted year after year because the school inspection looked only at this logbook for promotion rather than the results of his students. As this was not a productive teaching method, half of us took control and decided to set up an after school group dedicated to studying (rather than playing). In the end all of us achieved such a good result, that he got a promotion for good work.
10b. Get up and do whatever you need to do to get what you want. You control your destiny.... no-else does
No one can help you to instil mental perseverance and subtlety of thought. Take things into your own hand, get up and do something rather then blaming it on others.
11. Only you can instil mental perseverance and subtlety of thought
In my business days now I employ a lot of students. These students obviously are quite smart to get into the uni. Yet on many occasions, simple things in life such as giving change e.g. $60 for an item of $45, they would ask for a calculator. Equally amused are some medical students, who are so badly socially inadequate. Their approaches to patients at times are horrific. Some do not know even how to greet patients before questioning them. Perhaps it is the system that is wrong. Perhaps getting perfect score in exams is not the answer to being a good clinician.
12. Dedication brings success
13. Treat everyone as equals, for even the lowest may have something to teach you
14. Every mountain has another bigger or higher one behind it....so be humble on your current climb
15. Don't pretend to be someone else....for your name should speak for itself
16. A wise person will not be affected by a sharp tongue
No matter what people say of you, don't let their insecurities affect you. There will always be 'haters' (people/acquaintances who for no reason directly linked to you, are just purely jealous because it's their way of trying to hide their insecurities). But the best way to deal with people like this is to smile, and know that it is their life which they are unhappy with or whom feel unfulfilled, and hence they try and bring you 'down' to their miserable level. They attempt to do this by talking behind your back. Just remember that in their attempts to project negativity onto you, or via others, it is just a clear statement that they are putting up their own white flag as they are unhappy and dissatisfied with their life. It has nothing to do with you or your actions. Just.... smile to them and move on.
17. A sharp tongue may be persuasive and can only be called a tool
18. People create good and evil. Do good, think good and you will be good
19. Your body is your doctor
20. A fool cannot see the mistakes of others
21. You cannot teach an old dog new tricks
22.Translating knowledge into action is the achievement of a great person
23. Knowledge gained without putting into practice is time wasted
24. Empty talk is a sign of an insincere person
25. Words once spoken is like throwing a hand full of feathers into the wind
26. Knowledge of ones destiny is an enlightened person's insight
27. Knowing one's limit is a successful persons tool
28. A calm mind gives insight into many actions and obstacles
29. The harder you work the more time you have to do other work
30. The harder you work the prosperous you are
31. Work wisely or else you will be working too hard to earn a living
32. Use you brain not your hands
33. Nothing is permanent
34. Your health is the only asset you live to enjoy. All your wealth means nothing when you gone
35. Nothing is absolute
36. Birth life and death are unavoidable, no wealth can buy this
37. Only your own mind and actions can give you your own peace and tranquility
38. Learning brings wisdom
39. The wise appreciate knowledge, regardless of how silly it may initially seem
40. To do your work well you must first sharpen your tools
41. Realise the intellectual potential of others.... and this will heighten your prospects and intelligence
42. Politeness, generosity, kindness and truthfulness are virtues of a gentleman and lady
43. A superior person holds righteousness and kindness
44.Forgive and forget.... it's the highest virtue of a person
45. Seek relaxation and enjoyment from your work
46. Employ those who are better than what you can do for yourself
47. Hold firm like a bamboo in a storm
48. Only an evil person fears death
49. Respect the homeless beggar as much as the wealthiest person on earth....but respect the wise-person more
50. Self cultivation is the way to satisfaction
51. Gold is more expensive than feathers....but it cannot be used as a comfortable pillow
52. Mans nature... is like water
53. Learn from righteousness
54. A person who has no respect for his family will have no respect for you
55 Give credit not for words....but for conduct and action
In life we encounter people who say they will assist, or say they will do something for you. However one week passes, then another few weeks....and you realise that these people were only paying you lip service, rather then actually really meaning to help you. Let these people "go" - Do not rely on them. Stick with people whose conduct and actions speak and reach out to you the most.
56. A person creates their own downfall
57. Confidence is gained from actions not words
58. A small person does not know big things but a wise person also knows little things
59. A tree has roots and branches
60. Roots and branches are different.... but they rely on each other
61. It is easy to leave this undone but it will impede your progress
62. Don't belittle anyone because you will only belittle yourself
When someone looks down and bullies another person, they are often doing this because of their own insecurity, and shows they were likely bullied and belittled in their past. It is a defense mechanism and they are trying to justify their life. Let these people rant and rave- they lead a sorry and unfulfilling life. A simple calm smile back at them, knowing that our lives are happier than theirs is all that is needed, and let them be engulfed in their own misery.
63. A poor person who does not complain about being poor is really a rich person
64. Give love, care and help others....the joy is within these acts
65. A poor man who is happy is at peace with himself
66.A rich man who is unhappy is a wasted man
67. No matter how rich you are you can only eat so much and sleep in one bed
68. The secret of success is to plan what is far from what is near
69. A small action may have a far reaching effect
70. When you are asleep all your materials are no different from the rich and poor
71. It takes two hands to clap
72. A truly rich man will not look down on a poor man
73. Respect the elderly.... they were young once, and since have gained a wealth of experience, which they could share with you
74. Some look like busy bees but get nothing done
75. Sincerity is a way to success
76. Seize any potentially positive opportunities
When you wake in the morning you can make a choice. Are you going to go out and seize the day, and make the most of any potentially positive opportunities? Seize the moment, because it is in those 'sliding doors' moments that determine the course of your life. Only you can make that choice.
77. Appreciate the old ways but advance with the world, other wise you will be like a fish in stagnant water
78. A fool can ask questions that no wise man can answer
79. When you look from inside... you get another view
80. The more sugar you take the more you want
81. An uncluttered work table is a sign of efficiency
82. Don't buy your children an excessive amount of toys.... buy them health
83. Eastern wisdom meets western science
84. Sincere faith with love of learning is the perfect way to tranquillity
85. Be modest in speech but exceed in action
86. Match your words with action or else you will lose respect integrity
We have all met some people in our lives who say "Yes I will look that up for you, and get back to you", or "Yes I'll email that to you" or "Yes I'll get my staff to contact you about it", however you never hear from these people again, or they don't do what they will say they will do. When you say you will do something for someone...do it. Don't give me excuses!
87. Be not ashamed of coarse clothes and non-elaborate food
88.We are all as important as each other - No more and no less. Everyone is as important as you. When we treat people with the respect they deserve, they will treat you back harmoniously too
89. Every single one of us has essence and purpose in life. Be proud of who you are, where you are going, and what you stand for
90. Employ one not based purely on their beauty.... but on the beauty of their wisdom
91. When clean water mixes with dirty water they both become dirty
92. A full cup of water cannot accept more
93. Without perfect virtue the way cannot be crystallised
94. A superior man honours his words
95. The moon cannot shine.... without the sun, and the sun's value.... is lost without the moon
96. A successful man's word is consistent with his action
97. A successful man is faithful in principle
98. Good speech brings great virtue
99. With inner peace you can conquer the world
100. Always look from a distance, be stern when you approach, be mild when you speak, be firm and be decisive
101. Discuss and cover as many options as possible, but be fast and decisive when you take action
102. Self cultivation brings success and tranquillity
103. Good is the opposite of evil, only you can decide which to choose, both are free
104. Failure brings success
105. Success brings success until failure
106. Poor man can become rich, rich man can become poor
107. Turn inwards before looking at others faults
108. A bad situation can be turned into something positive
109. Self enquiry is the wise man's ability
110. Treasure honour more than words
111. Don't make promises you cannot keep
112. Diligence is the root of success
113. Nothing can beat hard work and endurance
114. Respect.... not despise
115. Do not envy others success inwardly, tell them you are going to do better than them
116.Jealousy is the root of unhappiness
117.An extravagant man can end up poor
118.A poor man who uses his mind wisely can end up rich
119.Be like bamboo, stand firm and bend with the wind
120. Life is like the weather, it changes
121. Strive for quality not quantity
122. Don't look down on the door man, one day he may own the building
123. On your way up be kind to those on their way down
124. It is better to take longer to do a job than to rush it with mistakes
125. Do not envy the rich, strive to be successful and learn from the rich
126. Encourage not criticise
127. Prosperity is nothing but a game
128. A hammer can either bend a nail or drive a nail
129. One hundred shots will result in some hits
130. Do a thousand things by half and you will not be successful at one
131. A busy bee cannot protect the honey until they are in the hive
132. A cluttered office is a sign of inefficiency
133. No life is lived without risk
134. Forewarned is pre-powered
135. Beat the grass to scare the snake
136. A righteous action gives courage to proceed
137. Whispering is dangerous gossip which can bring disharmony
138. Prescribe medicine according to the patient, not just the disease
139. There is a slave for every soul
140. Strive.... to become strong
141. Always give others the benefit of doubt
142. Most people work too hard to allow time for creating success
143. Rain is a curse to someone and a blessing to others
144. Water sows life but also destroys it
145. Everyone makes mistakes, the challenge is whether we learn from it
146. Every action has its own merit
147. You cannot kill the weeds without destroying the roots
148. You cannot teach an old dog new tricks
149. Reckless thought and foolish fancy is the downfall of many rich man's children
150. The mouth is right the heart is false
151. Swallow like a tiger and you will not taste the goodness
152. Flowers with a fragrance are the target of bees
153. Making trouble and mischief will destroy your self esteem
154. Work hard and accept criticism as compliments
155. The softer the mud the deeper it digs
156. Flowers will not grow if it they are not watered
157. Eat but not waste
158. Copy the good points, the bad point of others will correct themselves
159. Don't look at the sky form the bottom of the well
160. Store up knowledge and learn without bragging
161. Teach without growing weary
162. Age is no barrier to learning
163. Make all your tasks like a steaming pot
164. Even you have many talents, always ask those who have little.
165. Learn to acquire knowledge, not to impress
166. Learn all you can and be steadfast in your purpose
167. After rain... the sky clears
168. Think of the source of water when you drink it
169. The ocean is made up of many drops of water.... you can use it to sculpt and achieve anything you want
The ocean is a powerful force, however one droplet by itself in the middle of the Arizona desert will dry up quickly and fade into insignificance. However by putting many droplets of water together and directing them to all flow together in unison, any obstacle or challenge can be overcome, even if it is made of hardened stone in the middle of the desert. Put these many droplets of water together in your own life, and it can become a powerful force and you can achieve by forming and sculpting your own.... Grand Canyon.
170. Knowing little and understand half of it is a fool trying to argue with a wise man
171. Birth death and sickness is unavoidable
172. Remember the good, forget and forgive the bad
173. Protocol breads ego
174. Action breads success
175. Casting the fishing net wider?
PART 1: This is typical action of many con men or incompetent workers. The meaning is simply this. When I was a little boy in the jungle in Ponggol - where my father ran a free clinic - the land extends to the sea. When we wanted to get some fish for food we would go out to catch just enough for the meal. Some time we catch big fish, some small. Those that are too small we throw them back into the water. Once a year on the 18th day of March in the Chinese calendar we have a big open party where many hundreds of people come and pay homage to my father. We need to provide free food and shelter for two days. We need a lot of fish. A gentlemen, well dressed by our standards (we used to almost wear nothing other than a small piece of cloth around our waist) with a T-shirt and long pair of trousers approached us. I had not seen him before. There was a group of elder people hollowing out coconut trunks for canoes to catch fish. These gentlemen offered him a new method of catching fish, at fist the helpers declined their advice. But he persisted and said the method could catch all the fish we need in less time, and involve less people. He went but after a few hours came back with not many fish. He then convinced them that the net is too small and he could make it bigger. By doubling the size he would catch twice the amount of fish. He made the net bigger by unleashing the net size thereby making the holes bigger and the net bigger. However after a whole afternoon of fishing, he had even less fish than normal because the holes in the fishing net were too big and many fish simply swam through it.
PART 2: The story remains in my mind and during the course of my association in business in Australia I have applied this situation successfully preventing me from being cheated. An example is when I set up my laboratory in the 1980's, I was naive and not as astute as I am now, and I was conned by a person when he said he worked in numerous pharmaceutical companies before he applied for the job. He told me another 'success story', and stated "I am sure by the end of this you will have a similar experience". I told him- "If so.... write to me please". First he was going to take my products to Europe. When he was in Europe, he called every day saying how good he was progressing and that there is no problem in getting distribution. But now on recollection back, he always said "but we need to do this or that". Each time he called, the prospect seemed to be better, HOWEVER the delays went on and on. After his return, the total bill for his trip was almost $20,000 - equivalent of about $100,000 today. When I queried him, he very confidently said "That is peanuts!" compared to the potential he has created. The delay and promises kept coming and coming, one dead line passed with another promise was fell by the wayside. Then out of the blue, one day after I put pressure on him, and he said "there is a great opportunity in USA". Weeks after he had gone to the US, and again with the same promises, he did not mention a word about Europe. I sacked him on the spot. He is casting his net wider and wider and nothing ever eventuated. He was hoping that there are so many promises that you will remember none. NONE of his projects ever come to fruition. From then on I regret not having learned a lesson from the fisherman, in the jungle of Ponggol in Singapore. Following these incidents, I have advised a lot of my friends in situations where they should give up there and then, but those who did not mostly got caught and lost a lot of money.
178. Yesterday is history, today is what it is, and tomorrow is.... your destiny built on history from today
179. Awareness is full and real
180. Believe in what's good.... and forget about all that's less than desirable
181. Look beyond the 'dressed up'. If the product is so good, it will sell itself
For eg a good property doesn't need to be over staged. Smart people will see its true value.
182. Treasure honour more than words
183. Don't make a promise you cannot keep. It is like throwing feathers and trying to pick up
184. Diligence is the root of success
185. Nothing can beat hard work, persistence and endurance
186. Respect not despise
187. Envy prevents you from doing better
188. Jealousy is the root of unhappiness
189. A poor man who uses his mind wisely is rich
190. Extravagance breeds poorness
191. Be like a bamboo, beating with the wind
192. Life is like the weather...it changes
193. Stick to quality NOT quantity
194. When you are climbing the mountain, don't look down
195. On the way up, be kind to those going down
196. It is better to take 3 times longer to do a job than to do 3 times the amount of a job badly
197. Do not envy, stick to your honour
198. Encourage, not criticise
199. Prosperity is nothing but a game
200. A hammer cannot drive a nail in your own finger
201. Winners see beyond the clouds and smoke....to see the resplendent beauty of the sunshine
202. Half a dozen or 6s
203. Do a thousand things by half and you will not succeed in one
204. Obsessions blinds priorities
205. A hundred shots will get some hits
206. Riding on the back of a dragon - hard to get off
207. Someone who lives a life based on dreams or beyond their means or status
i.e. shopaholics who use their credit cards and spend without thinking, getting into financial trouble. But they still always find an excuse to buy and buy beyond their means.
208. A tree with vines grown around it will stunt its growth and may eventually die
209. One who lives near water knows the disposition of fish and those who live in a jungle knows the call of wild animals
210. Break the cauldrons and sink the boat
211. One smile is a million times more powerful than a million frowns
212. Kill the cat to teach the monkey - Old Chinese saying in the village - When you want to teach someone how to do something, you show them first, so that the other person won't do it wrong....because monkeys learn by watching
213. Respect your elders....no matter what....they've eaten more rice than you
214. Anger is the root of self discomfort. When one is angry, others will walk away....and you will feel your pain multiplied
215. Between failure and dreams.... lies a great potential for success.... depending on how you learn from your failures
216. Treasure those who criticize you.
A true friend has your best interests at heart. Beware of the 'friend' who totally agrees with you all the time.
217. Winners do things that losers do not
218. Creating a secure future is not about the amount of one's income... but rather the amount one did not "throw away"
219. Success is what you do diligently.
Even the most unsuccessful person has succeeded in some other aspect.
220. Beware of the person who is agrees with everything all people have to you say. They are not showing their true colours
221. Do not preach. Reaching out is better
222. Anyone can dress up and dance under lights and have a good time, however you know you have found the right person to be your life partner when you are happy even just sitting in a park with them, purely enjoying their company
223. When the weather is warm and sunny, we all have many many friends....but when the weather is stormy, wet and cold....it is only your family and true friends who will help. Value your family and those close friends
224. Overcoming many small single obstacles is a chance....to climb the mountain of greatness
225. Be humble in triumph....be humble in defeat....be humble in life
226. Happiness is not dependent on other people...only on how happy you are within
227. Be in the moment.... now, not what happened yesterday, nor what you are doing tomorrow.... otherwise you will merely drift through this moment, and tomorrow will never come.
228. Don't let narcissism rule your life.
Look to self-improve, but don't compete with others, only yourself. The most important person to impress....is yourself
229. It's not how wide open your eyes are, it's what you actually see
230. Be wary of the 'acquaintance' who once spoke to you, but now does not
Be wary of the 'acquaintance' or even 'friend' whom you thought you knew, but now they can't even manage to even say a simple hello to you when they see you. This is because subconsciously they are trying to hide their flaws, as they feel vulnerable and embarrassed. There are multiple causes of these, ranging from either having done wrong to you (and you may not even know it), or they have criticized someone they are now befriending, and are hence very embarrassed that they betrayed their current 'friend' now. Some of these people also at times act very over the top with how they speak or with their actions. You know the ones, those people who you hear from the other side of the room, whom appear so happy and jovial. There are some people who are just like this personality wise, yet in many others it is actually a cover-up of their flaws.
231. It's better to try to navigate the mass flow, then to control the mass flow
232. Your partner should be your best and most ardent supporter
It astonishes me when one hears about someone complaining about their partner and how they are not supportive of them, and in what they are doing. Your partner should enhance every aspect of your life - they should want to make you be enthusiastic about your work, enhance your relationships with your parents and siblings, stimulate you to be smarter, and be your ultimate supporter of everything you do.
233. Don't mask your true beauty
234. The festive season is not about what you receive.... but what can you give to make others happy.
In the jungle of Ponggol growing up, where my father ran a free clinic, throughout the entire year we treated patients and their family pro bono. As many of them were eternally grateful for the treatment provided, they often gave us food, poultry, fish and vegetables to help our family in daily life. However my father instilled in us that helping patients is an honour and a privilege, and hence it was never about receiving gifts from them, but rather doing this to purely help patients. So during the festive season, rather than thinking...."I wonder what I am going to get for Christmas", a more altruistic viewpoint would be "What can I give to others for Christmas, and beyond?"
235. The Monkey sees no evil
If you don't look for a particular characteristic in a person, a particular topic of interest, or the way you carry out your actions, it means that you may not be able to see any faults in these. By knowing where others or yourself have stumbled before that is a great way to improve and be a better you.
236. The Monkey hears no evil
If you don't listen carefully when someone is talking with you, you may miss out on why and what they are trying to say to you. A monkey does not hear both good and bad things, to its own detriment- without listening out for constructive advice, it is harder to improve. Sometime we may feel as if our close friends and family point out certain things about ourselves to us, which we at times may feel like it's criticism, however they are more likely deep down only telling you this because they care dearly for you.
237. The Monkey does no evil
Treat others how you would like to be treated. Do not engage in behaviour which may harm you or others. If someone cuts you off in traffic, then just let them...no need to get angry - This achieves nothing. Take a calm gentle breath in, and with your next exhale let that minor incident wash away from you. Staying calm and righteous is a virtue.
238. The Monkey speaks no evil
Gossip. Why gossip? Why talk negative? When we speak with others, it will be more enriching for your life if you try and gain a positive out of every conversation you have. You have the ability to help others....we all do. So by keeping negative comments to ourselves (as distinct from constructive helpful advice), and by trying to focus on the positive aspects of someone, then you will feel more empowered and positive yourself. Start off by trying this for even one conversation, and see your life become even more positive and fruitful.
239. If you chase a dog too much it will turn around and bite you
240. trying to eat a cake bigger than your mouth can choke you
241. Everything as related. Not as relative.
242. With every new day marks an opportunity to make a positive impact, joy and happiness
243. Time can age you.... but it can also make you healthier
Most of us usually equate getting older with become less healthy. However if we treat our body, mind and spirit well, and take steps to optimize our health, and stay active and allowing ourselves to spend more time in the more harmonious alpha and theta (and even gamma) wavelengths, then we can actually improve our health with time, and also age.
244. Putting care, devotion, and passion into any task, it will create greater achievement
245. Shower your kids with love, quality time and health
A study asked parents who they would love to have dinner with. Many stated sports stars, celebrities, actors and musicians, as well as prominent historical people. When kids were asked the same question, literally all the children stated that the people they wanted to sit down and have dinner with was purely.... their parents.
246. An emotionless and poker faced person are usually hiding something
We all occasionally meet someone who when you talk with them, they don't appear to be listening, or just stare back at you with a blank face.... be hyper-aware of people like this, because they are pre-occupied with their thoughts. Solution? Leave them, and let these people think about their thoughts in their own time. Go and be in a place where you find relaxing, and spend quality time around people who truly engage with you.
247. Wash the dishes to show your respect
Respect is fundamental to relationships and friendships. Simple acts of assisting with dishes, picking up after the kids, opening the door for your partner, and asking their opinion and discussing with them your thoughts and ideas, helps to foster a shared bond between you. The relatively simple act of doing dishes shows that you respect your partners' time as much as yours, and which then gives you a bit more time to sit down together and ask how each other have been that day, and share this with one another. Simple acts mean a lot.
248. What lies beneath the iceberg is more dangerous
When a captain of a ship sees a tip of an iceberg, what are his/her most pressing thoughts? Some would say the tip of the iceberg because it can damage his ship, but what about the vast mass beneath the sea? In life there will be circumstances where the 'tip' of a situation is dangerous, however never forget about the potential implications of what lies beneath.By the same token, always beware of what you say to others, even if brief, and the implications of these, and hence how with even a few words you can positively influence others.
249. Be strong like stone
250. Every mountain is a chance to improve achievement muscle
251. Be thankful for the family, friends and relationships you have. Cherish today with them. Thank them for their love and friendship. Let them know you care for them
252. Sleep well, sleep comfortably
When we go to bed, it is advantageous and healthier to go to bed with a clear mind. Any actions and comfortable bed time routine are useful to allow you to rest well. Talk with your partner about any issues....don't sleep on negativity. When your head hits the pillow your mind and body should be clear, and comfortable.
253. Let your mind be free....like swimming in crystal clear azure waters
Allow your mind to be free of negativity, and strive to just have clear thoughts. Like getting up out of bed and immediately diving into a crystal clear blue pool in the morning, with golden sand and the gentle ocean waves lapping in the background.
254. Cherish, love and hold those close to you
Let the most important loved and cherished people in you life know how you feel. Communicate with them, tell them that you care and value them- unequivocally. Being a doctor in the Emergency Departments at Monash and Dandenong Hospitals shows how quickly a person and their family's life can change in an instant, and very suddenly. Now is the best time to tell your loved ones that you love them - Dr Justin Lim.
255. Your name is the best asset of trustworthiness
People who have many names and aliases may have dark shadows in their past. When dealing with such persons, one must query why they have these multiple aliases. Beware.
256. Be grateful and respect family and friends and any other beings (whether they be human, animals, plants etc) and they will imbue you happiness and joy
257. A peaceful home is simple, clean and warm
A peaceful, relaxing home will lead to prosperity, harmony and well-being.
258. The moon cannot shine without the sun, and the sun's value is lost without the moon
259. The most important person judging your beauty is yourself.
You determine your beauty, and appreciate your unique beauty
260. You are the most powerful and influential person in the entire world for you.
You can make a difference in your life every day
261. Pursuit of truth inspires the seeker; pursuit of knowledge tires the seeker.
262. If you can't fit into a 'space' then you need to broaden your outlook
263. Be happy with your personality, for they are individual and make you unique. We all have something to contribute
264. If you can learn at least one new thing each day, your knowledge will be much richer at the end of the year
265. Talk - to resolve issues
Occasionally we feel someone close is upset. If anything is bothering you with your partner, family, or team mate, please sit down and discuss what your issue is, why you feel that way, and how everyone can alter their approach so all are happy. Talk about how you feel, why you feel that way, and what the other(s) can do to move on positively so it does not happen again. If you do not discuss this with anyone, and just bottle it up inside, it will continue to fester inside you, and you may inadvertently start to resent yourself and others as the situation is not getting resolved. Others can only help you resolve a situation be hearing how you feel, and making a plan together to move forward. Please talk with each other.
266. Beauty radiates from within, starting from one's heart
By ensuring you are healthy within, by eating right, keeping hydrated and doing appropriate exercise, this will impact our skin, and how we see ourselves positively, on the outside. Take care of yourself from inside and the outside will be enhanced.
267. People will find and add up faults of those who keep them waiting
While waiting for a seat at a restaurant, there were a few groups of people there just sitting- however this allowed us to see the faults of the restaurant. Also no-one's time is any more precious than any other people. It astounds that some doctors keep patients waiting for hours. If someone has made an appointment with you have the courtesy to respect that.
268. Failure is the greatest teacher
It is through our mistakes that we can learn where we can improve and be better.
269. Be peaceful and prosper
By being peaceful in oneself and with others you will prosper and grow as a person.
270. Do not worry if there are some ignorant people who cannot understand you. But worry if you do not understand others, and take action to amend this.
271. What is being said is not as important as to what to is left unsaid.
272. Understanding yourself is wisdom and harmony
Doing too much is achieving nothing, let go of what is unhappy you will achieve happiness. Great mistakes may be made, but the most important aspect is to learn from it to make it a great learning mistake.
273. Be the cup of clear water
When clear, clean water mixes with muddy, dirty water one will end up with a cup of muddy mess. Be wise who you mix with. Once dirty water mixes with clean water will never, it is difficult to get the cup completely clear again.
274. Do not answer vile questions for someone who asks these questions is only displaying how vile they are.
275. A person who walks long distances without a route is inviting trouble.
276. Marriage is a partnership, always consider your loved one in each and everything you do.... because when the 2 of you put your heads together you have at least double the collective decision making capability and brain power.
277. Have faith in all you do and faith that life will work out positively for you. There may be times in our life where it may seem that life is very demanding and hard, however when you come out of the other end you will look back and smile that you kept at it. Have faith and persist in what you want to achieve. Have faith in your actions. Never give up.
278. When someone loves you deeply-you garner strength; when you love someone deeply- you gain courage.
279. Every person is different. Some liked to be listened to and understood; while others like to fix situations and find solutions.
This wise relationship advice comes from highly respected Australian psychologist Dr Elizabeth Helmond. It is echoed by other patients who have also been married for many decades, some over 70 years.
280. Movement is one of lifes greatest freedoms
Enjoy the ability to move physically, and also emotionally and mentally. We as humans are blessed with this ability to appreciate this- so revel in your abilities.
281. Only consider giving unsolicited advice, after all options are exhausted.
282. It's not how much food you give guests, it's how you greet them.
283. Hospitals help keep you away from the mortuary.... Professor Yoland Lim helps keep you away from hospitals.
284. You have the power to make changes in your life. Take control, be who you have always wanted to be. You control your destiny.
285. You can buy a watch, but you can't buy time.
286. Respect your health.
287. Let light brighten darkness and the love brighten hate .
288. For short term contracts see one's face. For long term contracts see one's character. For life contracts see one's nature.
289. Hard work won't kill you, but worry and sadness does.
This is from a wise 82 year old patient of ours, originally from Italy, who has been through many life experiences.
290. No news is bad news unless you look at it in a negative way.
There is always a positive way we can approach situations.
291. Heat burns, but warmth comforts.
292. The beauty of becoming of wiser age is that we see even more of ourselves in our parents and children. This fantastic kinship is a celebration of life and family.
293. I am not a currency trader
Throughout my many years of business life I have encountered a range of companies, and a very wide range of ‘company policies’. One particular company for one particular item, wanted me to sign up to agree to their price now, but they had the authority (and audacity!) to also state that they have the right to change the price at any time within a couple of days, and that I would have to sign to agree to this. I am not so desperate for your item that I sign my life away so that you can charge anything you want. I am happy to agree to a price now, but I am not going to subject myself to sudden price changes, as I am not a currency trader.
294. There are some good people still out there.
Some believe that 80% of people don't care for you, while the remaining 20% want to see you worse off. Well I say do not worry about these people, because there is another additional 1% of people out there who are good, and who do believe in you.
295. Destiny of life.
Birth, Aging and Death are all part of ‘life’.
We can only enhance a more harmonious life, aiming to be sickness free and gracefully aging by living the way nature created us. Nourish your body and mind.
296. Learn to let go.
When one is trying to hold onto the maximum amount of rice in the palm of your hand you must gently cradle it, otherwise by squeezing too tight the rice will overflow and will be left with none.
297. The greatest charm of a person is not to please others, but to live out their own achievements
298. It's better to live on your own stage than to live your life cautiously in the eyes of others
299. Everyone is capable of achieving. You can achieve anything you put to your mind to.
After all I came to Australia with only $84 in my pocket.
300. Small drops of water make up the ocean.
301. Acquiring knowledge is the power of will. But better to have the power over your will.
302. Never give up hope
303. Never ignore the power of love
304. Never give up dreaming
305. Always be grateful
306. Be kind to all, including friends, animals and nature
307. 40 days without food, 3 days without water, 3 minutes without air, 1 second without hope
308. Settlements are better than arguments.
309. It takes a catty of rice to gain a customer; but a mere grain of rice can lose one.
310. Allow your face to show others how happy you are.
311. Allow yourself time to look, observe and appreciate the beauty of nature around us, whether it be rain, snow or sun.
312. Love the one you 'love'
In relationships occasionally we hit speed humps, and have rain which showers on us. Rather than abandoning the relationship by jumping off the pier of life, turn these situations into opportunities to build your love together, become closer, hold and support each other under umbrellas and walk the journey hand in hand together. Never take your loved one for granted as circumstances, whether in or out or your control can change life in an instant. So take everyday to embrace the opportunity to tell your loved one you DO love them.
313. Everyday is an opportunity for us to make ourselves and those around us happy. We all can positively influence our friends and family, and anyone else we come into contact with. Be happy to be interacting and with others, and value true friendships and relationships
314. Life isn't perfect.... yet it is in its imperfection that we can find perfection
This cookie comes courtesy of a very eloquent Italian fellow health care practitioner whom we were fortunate to meet while travelling.
315. Sometimes change.... is opportunity
In life we inevitably will have some aspect significantly alter and impact our lives. However even though initially it may seem difficult, we have 2 possibilities:
1) We can let it get the better of us; or
2) We can embrace the opportunity to grow, learn, and embrace this change to make ourselves a better person. In life it is not necessarily what has caused the change which is important, but rather how we embrace it and the opportunity it can offer us.
316. Water....can float a boat....but can also sink it
317. Some may climb a mountain higher than you. Be humble.
318. Your destiny is influenced by those around you influencing your nature.
When we surround ourselves with helpful and good natured people, we too will become like that.
319. For short term contact you may look at one's face. For long term contact, observe their nature. For life contact, look at the nature of the person.
320. Temperament if more important than age.
321. Be as helpful as you can. Learn as much as you can. Experience as much as you can. Travel as much as you can. Eat the best you can.
322. Avoid too crispy processed food, as commercial friers may contain aluminium oxide, disguised as all different names, which are detrimental to your brain.
323. Go to meet your happy friend, to love the person who won't make you cry and stride proudly towards your dream of any size.